Friday, October 2, 2009

Full breakfast, vegan style

I am not one of those vegetarians who gave up eating meat because I just didn't care for the taste. Prior to my conversion to herbivory, I was absolutely a fan of the stuff. When I decided to make the switch, some types of meat were definitely easier to forgo than others. Chicken, for example, was not really missed all that much. One of the things I did miss were all those delicious fried pork products: bacon, sausage links, sausage patties, etc. Some of the meat facsimiles out there are decent, but I don't really like to eat commercially processed fake meats that often. So my life became pork-product free and, I admit, sometimes at family breakfasts I would stare wistfully at the plate of sausages.

Well, no more! One of the most exciting (to me, anyway) sections of Vegan Brunch is, you guessed it, sausage! It is a little time consuming to make (40 minutes of steaming, anyone?), but the results are so worth it. Nobody who eats actual meat will mistake these for genuine pork sausages, but they are still very tasty and the texture is quite meaty in nature.

There are a couple of sausage recipes in the book, the ones I tried were the chorizo flavor. A few of the ingredients proved difficult to find--namely, smoked paprika and dry rubbed sage. I used regular paprika and regular sage, then tossed in about a half a teaspoon of liquid smoke.

The majority of the sausages were consumed at a brunch party, but I did manage to have a few leftovers, which I did homage to by preparing a full breakfast:



Toast, scrambled tofu, sausage, and some sauteed tomatoes. Mmmmmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment