Monday, September 28, 2009

more waffling: apple cinnamon!

My adventures in Vegan Brunch continue with some delicious apple cinnamon waffles:



I made a batch of these and froze most of them to have on hand for quick breakfasts during the week (they reheat really well!).

Apple cinnamon is one of the suggested variants on the plain raised waffles recipe. I added about a teaspoon of cinnamon and 1/2 c. chopped dried apples to the batter (the cookbook suggests fresh apples, but dried were convenient at the time, so I went with that). The result was waffles with a little bit of tart sweetness--they taste delicious totally plain, or with a generous dollop of apple butter, as shown above.

In the last post I wrote about this waffle recipe I mentioned that I thought the recipe called for a lot of sugar. This time around I cut sugar down to 1 tablespoon and I think it definitely improved things. The waffles themselves had a more "neutral" flavor and I also didn't have any problems with the outsides browning too fast or sticking to the waffle iron, both of which had happened with the first batch. The browning/sticking issues may, of course, depend somewhat on your waffle iron, but if you're finding it's a problem, try reducing the sugar. As an added bonus, you can then allow yourself to load on more syrup later!

No comments:

Post a Comment