Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Cornbread!

Last night for dinner I cooked up a big pot of soup (more on that in a later post), and I was in the mood for a little something to go along with it. Conveniently, I also had some cornmeal in the freezer, so I decided to go for cornbread:


Cornbread is one of those typical Southern foods that I love even though I rarely ate it growing up (also on this list: okra, collard, grits). My mother finds the texture too coarse, so she didn't serve it often. So I don't have a tried and true family recipe to share with you, sorry! Instead, I used this delicious vegan cornbread recipe. The only modifications I made were to use 1/4 c. of oil instead of 1/3, and to add about 3/4 c. of corn salsa. The result was a delicious, moist, cornbread with a little bit of kick from the salsa:



One of the best things about this recipe is that it does not have too much sweetener, just a few spoonfuls of maple syrup. A lot of cornbread recipes I have seen call for a ton of sugar, anywhere from 1/2 to a whole cup, which I think is really more like a recipe for corn cake! I think next time I make this recipe I may even cut the maple syrup down to a single tablespoon because even this cornbread was just a little bit sweeter than what I am used to.

Finally, a note about storing your cornbread. Like most quickbreads, it is best eaten straight out of the oven or within a day or two of baking. If you are a single person like moi, you may not care for the rate of cornbread consumption that requires. Fortunately, cornbread (and most quickbreads) freezes well! I wound up putting about two-thirds of this batch into the freezer for later consumption, while the rest is currently chilling out in a Mason jar in the fridge:


Yes, if you're out of tupperware, a mason jar will absolutely do!

No comments:

Post a Comment